Taste and See, Reflections of 2008

Red Letter Believers has a group writing project.

"This is an open invitation to everyone to reflect on this past year.

Listen to the news or read the papers, and it hasn’t been such a hot 12 months on a number of fronts. But we know that our God isn’t one constrained by the latest economic or political news. He’s not one to wait till consumer confidence picks up. He’s the same today, yesterday and forever.

So, in what ways has God blessed you this year? Perhaps this year has been one of loss for you: a home, a job, or a loved one. How have you found blessings in your brokenness?"
I found it at the wonderful wordpress blog Desperate for More of Him that I have been enjoying, that started to follow my blog.

"We’ll post your reflections beginning January 1."
I was writing on my Simply Kind Tuesdays about the book I Had Trouble Getting to Solla Sellew. I found this study some kids did in school. It follow along with what I was going to say today.

Early this year we set a goal to be in our new house by the start of school in late January. We had set this up with the new school and everything. I remember thinking it would be the last time I did things in my town I am living in now. Obviously we didn't move. I am still here. The jobs that had to be done before we could move it beat us by a few days. No we are not very slow, but they are still to be done and hopefully will be finished very soon.

That is the long story for the fact that I had all the emotions of shifting. People had asked me rude questions I thought about why we were moving, when we were moving etc. I was quite stressed and found it hard to forgot the pre-Christmas activity. I settled down back into school and our activities, though I forget the details now. What I did notice is that my attitude to how I handled people here had changed. I knew that I had an out, so nothing bothered me. Strange isn't it? Maybe I was so thankful to still be in my house that I enjoyed it.

I did have a lot of things to cope with this year, but really I can't remember much now, that is how it is by the time to get to the New Year I suppose. You get to start again fresh. So I don't think my original idea of speaking of my Dad's death is relevant. My blessings don't come from brokenness I don't think.

We got a new puppy this year. I am so humbled by this bestowing of such a intelligent dog on me. I know we won't probably take him hunting, but he could be taught so much. He is like a dog equivalent of an engineer. Always trying out ways to get things to work or do what he wants. He is often seen with pots on his nose!

At one stage our job was under a cloud because of an excess, but we continue to have employment for my husband.

I was blessed by the Skywatch Friday meme that had me photographing plane trails, moons, sunsets in the colder months of the year. I have been here five years in January but still adjusting to the cooler weather.

My son (our eldest) was blessed with his own flat so he was able to get out of a group share situation. Lots of good things happened to him, so as he nears his 21st birthday he is pretty much on his own two feet and doing well.

God has been good to all of my children. It would take a whole post to list the blessings they have had.

The most noted thing for me is that I didn't move house before or during my Dad's battle with cancer. I try to avoid overloading my coping mechanisms. I have had the year to digest this new stage of my life. Hopefully this year the house situation will sort itself out. We are working hard to get it ready for us or someone else to live in.

I am extremely grateful our builder finished the back of the house, builders are hard to come by. We got a lovely glassed area and door, where there was shade cloth and lattice and a normal door previously. Yes, the back section had lots of fresh air. He also lined a ceiling in pine. It should be very cosy in there now. I am also grateful for our plumber and electrician, and for the builder putting back our kitchen floor which was damaged from white ants, and to our pest man.

I am extremely grateful that the passing of our old dog from cancer was not tramatic. That we have had money to fix our car, not once, but twice. That it happened while in the driveway not had me stuck out in the remote country that I live in. I am grateful for all my monetary blessings, to keep us going. We were able to do all we had to do.

I was very blessed that we were able to take our preserves to the local Agricultural Show or County Fair.

I got to know my son's girlfriend during this time and the whole generational cycle starts again. She has been very generous to his siblings as he calls them lol.

We were very blessed that wood kept appearing and we didn't have to go searching for it to heat our house, which worried us.

I got to go to the city twice, once to visit the zoo and another time I was well enough to still go. I was also well this week (when I wrote this) when I had to be. We had lots of things we had to do at the regional centre. So much can happen in one year.

I was able to buy a few novels here or there, and some CDs, and start this blog and meet new friends.

I was happy also that red leaves stayed on my tree outside my window all the way until the new ones came at spring time. Yes, less and less each time, but still some to look at.

So I guess this year has been a year of change for me. My other son was meant to start uni but is going to go this time next year, or rather February. I guess it was enough change for one year. Hopefully we can concentrate on helping him as much as we can this coming year and still find time to devote to our houses and our future, whatever it is.

Comments

Joyce said…
Hi, Linda,
It sounds like so very much has happened for you and your family in this past year. I do wish you a blessed New Year.

I'm thinking of doing a Ten on Tuesday post about the ten best things that happened in 2008. For me, I find so much contentment and joy in the little things, oft repeated. I might just list those things.
Dorothy said…
Linda,
I enjoyed reading this post, and as I did, I kept thinking of all the many ways God has blessed Jeep and me through the year. We have just been married for a year and a half, but it would take a long post (or a book) to relate all our blessings!
I wish you blessings, peace, joy, happiness and health in the coming year!
tina said…
Happy New Year to you Linda! May many more blessings come your way!

My husband and I enjoyed the pushbar video of all the cars too. Looks like a fun place!
Anonymous said…
Wow, what a year. I love how you are able to acknowledge the pain and struggle while seeing the blessings. That's real soul work - and impressive.

Thank you for blessing us with your process. In it, we can all see a little bit of God.

Popular Posts