Simply Kind Tuesdays


I was so happy when I found this meme. Kindness would have to be one of my favourite subjects, and one I have been thinking about especially in the past few months. I found it on Joyce's blog, which is wonderful.

I was even more happy when I found there is a kindness organisation in Australia so if I get stuck I can find topics there to write about. They even have a page to define what is an act of kindness, because it is a little vague.

kindness noun
1. the quality of being warmhearted and considerate and humane and sympathetic
From: dictionary

This definition is not helpful in some ways, because after reading it I instantly think I don't do those things, which I am sure is not quite true. I don't think I am unkind.

My favourite part about kindness is that it is the second thing that is mentioned in the bible to explain the definition of love. I mentioned this when my daughter brought home a lovely calendar from Youth Group with a page for each part. I am not sure which version I have firmly planted in my head. "Love is patient and kind, is not jealous, conceited or proud". 1Corinthians 13:4 onwards. It can be found even in a Gideons New Testament.

There is even a place where you can make your own beautiful kindness website.

Another scripture I just thought of is:

"Goodness and kindness will follow me all the days of my life." - Psalm 23:6

It is actually from the Lord's Prayer

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Speaking of the Kindness Organisation, it is interesting that they posted this warning at the bottom of their website:

"Whilst it is the policy of the Australian Kindness Movement to encourage kind behaviour in all interactions with others, there are some circumstances where this may not be appropriate behaviour.

For example, if a woman were to smile at a male stranger, it could be interpreted as a ‘come on’. Also, a friendly approach to someone under the influence of alcohol or other drug, or a person with a psychological disturbance, may elicit, in certain circumstances, a response of verbal or physical abuse.
While such incidents may be rare, we urge that common sense prevail in kindness interactions with others. Do not put your safety at risk!"

I think our society rules have changed in the last five years, what do you think? How do we keep continuing to be kind? Has anyone had to rethink how to go about it?



Kindness by Flavia Weedn
Kindness

Comments

Thistledew Farm said…
Great post - we all need to pass on a little kindness. There was a study that said smiling is infectious. If you are happy and smile, people around you feel better - it is even more contagious than frowning!
Connie Peterson said…
I think kindness is doing to others what you WANT them to do to you. Thinking of others the way you WANT them to think of you.

No hate, no dislike, just kindness .... all of the days of our lives.

Blessings
Anonymous said…
Gosh, thanks so much for joining us! I truly believe that kindness is one of the most powerful forces on the planet. By talking about kindness, we create it as an option for people.

And this post is perfect! :)

Thanks so very much! I'll add you to our blogroll.
Tania said…
Such a nice post Linda. A timely reminder for this time of year and all the year through.

Thank you.

A truly lovely morning here today.

Tania
Hill upon Hill said…
How interesting, a great subject to ponder and learn more about.
Joyce said…
Hi, Linda,

I loved your post! Like you, I'm fascinated with the description of LOVE in 1 Corinthians 13. By God's enablement, I do seek to be kind and the other virtues that make up true love.

It seems I just don't have time to post every day lately. This evening I had to make a quick dinner, then take one child to her basketball game and another to his choir concert.

I hope to do a Simply Kind Tuesday next week. :)

Popular Posts