Back to Basics Challenge - Week 9



Sowing seed or Planting Planning for The Future - meal planning, the next seasons garden plan, working out storage plans or more long term goals and projects like plans for digging root cellars

I was looking through some more old magazines, I must have put some related to Christmas close at hand and I read those. I found a recipe for left-over ham, which is great because we cooked it yesterday and had some hot for tea. I also found a recipe for chipolatas. Since this is a speciality of the supermarket I shop at and when I first read the magazine I didn't shop there, it was good to find this recipe and save it. It is a chipolata and lentil salad.

Warm Potato Salad with Lemon Mayonnaise

Serves 6

1.25kg chat poatoes, halved
6 eggs
350g green beans, trimmed
300g broad beans
400g off the bone leg ham, sliced
salt and cracked black pepper

Dressing:

2 tablespoons lemon juice
2/3 cup Thomy Delikatess Mayonnaise

Comine the lemon juice and Thomy Delikatess Mayonnaise. Set aside. Steam the potato halves until tender. Remove and keep warm.

Blanch the green beans and broad beans. Refresh; remove skins from broad beans. Softly poach eggs and remove from the pan with a slotted spoon. Combine potatoes with the green beans, broad beans, ham, salt, pepper and lemon mayonnaise.

Place on serving plates. Break an egg over each salad and serve.


Chipolata & Lentil Salad

Serves 4

1/2 cup or 130g Greek-style yoghurt
2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
150g chargrilled eggplant
2 Lebanese cucumbers, halved crossways, thinly sliced
50g baby spinach leaves
12 chipolatas
400g can lentils, drained and rinsed

Combine yoghurt, lemon juice and mint. Set aside.

Toss eggplant, cucumber and spinach leaves in a bowl.

Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Cook the chipolatas, turning occasionally, until golden.

Reduce heat to medium. Add lentils. Toss until lentils are heated through. Serve salad topped with lentils and 3 chipolatas, then drizzle with yoghurt mixture.



Working for the Future - storing food, managing stores, preserving, building that home made cob or solar oven, adding house insulation, saving for manual grain mills etc.

I have been scribbling over and over on my calendar. These are things I want to buy when we go twice out to the big shops. Once to the regional centre, once to our hometown. I want to get Clark's shoes, tried once already and it didn't work. I have underwear, dentist, Christmas dress for youngest, plus other things to buy here. For example a jaffle maker.

Building Community - volunteering, donations, joining an existing community group, forming your own community group, taking a cake to a friend having a hard time, calling someone you just let drift out of your life, etc.

I attended two school events. I have met one adult I knew about but hadn't seen. It is nice to know someone by sight as well. We have our Christmas lights up to add to the town's display.

Learn a new Skill

I'm not sure. I'll have to pay closer attention to what I am learning.

Today, Monday, I got to taste our first raspberry and loganberry. Very nice!

This challenge is hosted at Belinda's Place.

Comments

Thistledew Farm said…
I'm going to try the warm potato salad with warm mayo. It sounds nice. I'm also going to learn a new skill this year! Thanks for an interesting post!

Popular Posts